Business & Domain Name
Before you start the exercise below, print this Worksheet.
Your business name and domain name are a very important part of your web site. They don't need to be the same, but for find-ability and remember-ability it is good to think this through.
- What is in a name? When you see a business sign can you tell what they do or offer?
- Do you provide a service?
- Are you selling a product? What would people ask for when searching for your product?
In the following example, here are some questions I want you to ask.
Kahleen Edeal's Warm Coverlets
- What are coverlets? Head covers, leg warmers, bed blankets, etc.?
- Are they knit, woven, wool, cotton, made with organic material, made by the indians in Brazil, etc.?
- Is Kahleen Edeal famous enough for the average person looking for blankets to look up my name?
- Would people really look for you by name in connection with what you do or are selling? Example: Thomas Kinkade.
- Cases when you may need to have your name in "The Name" are when YOU are the business. Example: kahleenedealfashionmodel.com
Under the Bamboo - Pet Sitting and Pet Grooming by Emma FondellIt tells you about what is done, who does it, but what is the bamboo part all about? How necessary is bamboo to the name?
Now, using the above ideas, brainstorm with friends and family to come up with possible business names and the corresponding domain names and record them on the Worksheet.